Wondering how to delete or how to deactivate Instagram accounts? You are not the only one considering such an option. While Instagram has grown to become one of the most popular social media platforms, it is not an indispensable element in your life.
The use of social media can be quite draining; not only mentally but also physically. Your family and loved ones also want a piece of your time. Other engagements might also require your input for an extended period. You might need a break from it all and the two options are the best available ones.
They each come with their consequences which will also be discussed in this article.
It should be noted that this is the most important decision. This is especially if you have built a brand using your Instagram account. Your account will contain essential information and connections that once lost cannot be regained. Therefore, if you are of the mindset that your hiatus from Instagram will be temporary, it is recommended that you consider simply deactivating your account. For those with a more permanent solution in mind, you will want to delete your Instagram account.
How to delete your Instagram account
- Either using your laptop or a mobile browser, proceed to the Instagram website and sign in to your account. For safety reasons, you are unable to delete an Instagram account using your mobile app.
- Once you have successfully logged in, proceed to the account deletion page.
- At the bottom of the screen, select the reason for deleting your Instagram account. If none of the options fit the bill, you can choose “something else.”
- If you are sure about the next step, click on “permanently delete my account”.
There you go. All the content (videos, photos, and whatnot) has been permanently deleted from the account. You are unable to recover the information. Instagram is quite clear on this in their terms of service and will not even entertain such a request.
How to temporarily deactivate your account
- Similarly, you will have to log into your account using a laptop, desktop, or mobile browser.
- Proceed to the profile tab and choose the “edit profile” option.
- Scroll down the page until you see the “temporarily disable my account link”. It should be inked in blue.
- You will also be asked to select a reason why you are disabling your account. You will be asked to enter your password one more time.
- Once done, you will be immediately logged out of Instagram on all your devices. If either you or your potential clients search for you, Instagram will inform them that either you don’t exist or that you haven’t posted anything.
Deactivating is a temporary action. You are welcome to come back and reactivate your account when you are ready. With the username and password, simply open the app or website and log in as normal. The reactivation will be instant.